Share internet between two computers using Crossover cable
Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) is really such an easy task these days. Imagine you have two PCs and internet connection is in one of them. But you have to access internet in both of them. Here we are going to see how to share internet between two computers using crossover cable.
- Two PCs with ethernet adapter
- Crossover Cable of required length between two PCs ( Its cheap - only Rs.15 for a metre - The price may vary slightly )
- Plugin the Crossover cable into both the PCs and switch on them.
- Suppose System 'C' is connected to the internet directly through a router or wifi. And System 'N' has no direct connection to the internet and is only connected to 'C' by means of the crossover cable.
- You'll have to configure the OS of 'C' for ICS. The configuration for your OS will be as follows :
For Windows :
- Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center
- Click on 'Change adapter settings' on the left pane.
- Now, select the internet connection that you want to share with the other PC
- Click on 'Change settings of this connection'
- In the dialog box that appears, click on 'Sharing' Tab
- Now enable the 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection'
- Below the 'Home Networking Connection' select the 'Local Area Connection' or your ethernet adapter name.
- Click on 'OK' thats it. And this internet connection will be shared for the intended PC
For LINUX :
- Click on Network icon in the top panel -> Edit Connections
- In the Wired tab, select the Ethernet Connection through which you are about to share your Internet and click on Edit.
- Click on IPv4 Settings tab
- Select 'Shared to other computers' in the Method section.
- Thats it. Your connection is shared now.
In the System 'N' just leave the default settings and the Internet will work perfectly for you.