What is youtube-dl ?youtube-dl is a free command line utility that can be used to download videos from youtube (not just limited to youtube) in Windows and GNU/LINUX.
|Linux - Youtube|
View the full list of sites supported by youtube-dl
Why should I set the default options ?These are the benefits that I can come up with for myself :
- Bandwidth is saved
- Prevent the video(s) from getting corrupted accidentally
- Set you preferences for the video/audio format/quality
Saving the bandwidth :
Prevent the video from getting corrupted accidentally :
Prefer a Video/Audio Format/Quality Everytime :
Problem :You may want to download the video/audio in a specific format/quality. But specifying them everytime will be a tiresome work.
Setting the default options for youtube-dl :
Graphical way :
- Open the file manager.
- Open the .config directory in your home folder (If this is not visible, use Ctrl + H to make it visible)
- Open the file named youtube-dl.conf. If it does not exist, create one.
- Then enter the options that youtube-dl should take as default while downloading the videos.
- Save the file.
Command Line :
- Open Terminal and enter the following :
- Then enter the default options for the youtube-dl and then save the file
cd ~/.config/ vi youtube-dl.conf
Download Videos without default settings :Just as much you want to download using the default settings, you might also want to skip the default settings for some videos.
For you to download the video in the way you like, just add --ignore-config flag to the youtube-dl.
youtube-dl --ignore-config https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpbFMhOAwE
If you just want to prevent a specific flag from taking effect, then you can also pass that flag with the value you want
Lets say, you have set the default video format to 18 (mp4 - 640x360), but you want to download a video in 720p webm format , you can pass the flag -f 247 .
Stay tuned with us for more updates. See the right pane for our social networking pages